The Reading Journey is Just Imagine’s programme for supporting independent reading. Devised by Just Imagine Director, Nikki Gamble, author of Exploring Children’s Literature and co-author of Guiding Readers: layers of meaning.
- ensure class book corners and reading areas are stocked with the great books
- ensure children encounter quality literature written and illustrated by the best writers and illustrators
- provide a range of supporting resources written by a highly experienced and qualified panel of teachers and consultants
The essential fiction set:
- creates a rich base for children’s reading, comprising classic and modern classics
- includes more recently published books which have been selected on the basis of their potential for longevity.
- is available either as a full set of 100 books, or as half sets of 50 books per set.
The essential fiction set is most suitable for schools:
- looking to set up new reading areas in classrooms and across the school
- needing to refresh old and tired book stock
- wanting to improve the quality of literature available
For schools well-stocked with the essential books on this list, we recommend the themed packs. These curated packs are designed to encourage peer-to-peer recommendation. The supporting notes have plenty of ideas for making book talk sessions engaging and purposeful.